attack of the bees

attack of the bees

Tonight we came home to this on THE deck. Kind of freaked us out a little. Thank goodness my neighbour Gayle rang and told us, we walk right past this table on the way in. The swarm is about 30cm in length about 15cm high and about 12-15cm deep. It definitely wasn’t there yesterday as the table was used. We came home at dusk so the bees were fairly quiet, apparently during the day there was a lot of activity and it was pretty scary! I get goose bumps still just looking at this picture and had them whilst taking them. I needed to use flash as it was too dark and wasn’t sure if the flash would bother them, but they seemed pretty preoccupied. I’m assuming they’re making a hive? I can’t believe how quickly they settled. I had this strange urge to disturb the bees, but didn’t, it was this overwhelming feeling.

13 thoughts on “attack of the bees

1. Kirsty says:

my dad always kept bees until recently and he used to be the local bee catcher(he’s in Melb so he can’t help you, I’m afraid). They’re most likely a runaway hive. They might go of their own accord though in a day or so. Maybe you should call the council if they don’t?

2. kelli says:

Oh. I am so allergic to bees I found out this summer. I took a stinger to the face and ended up in the ER. Yuck. I love the honey, but better they live in the forest.

3. pyglet says:

I am deathly afraid of bees. I am having heart palpitations just looking at your pic. (great pic though) We had a home invasion above our bathroom last year…You had the urge to disturd the bees? My gut reaction was to screech KILL’EM, KILL ‘EM!! A little hysterical?….I need to calm down.

4. Nicole says:

YEP I got within about half a metre of them and snapped away. It was weird, I was drawn to them. Surprisingly no noise whatsoever. I think they’d settled in for the night. Someone’s run the body corporate and they’ll get someone to come and deal with them. This morning when I went past there was about half there the rest were out doing their bee thing I guess.

5. suburbansider says:

Hi, one day I looked out my window and saw hundreds of bees swarming about and a massive blob {like yours} of them in the tree nearby and was really scared and the next day they were all gone! Hopefully yours will dissapear back to where ever they came from soon to.

6. kelly says:

I guess I must be one of the few commenting who loves bees! I’ve always had a little dream of being a beekeeper one day – when I have my house in the country, some chickens and goats, and a nice little patch of lavender… šŸ˜‰