Burn baby burn

New Old house, new old oven. WAY old, so old, as I’ve mentioned previously, no temperatures marked on the oven knob. Old oven with an electric element in the bottom of the oven, an element that keeps setting my tea towels on fire! YES fire. Just as well the kitchen floor is tiled. I’m not used to this type of oven, obviously, otherwise why would I be setting tea towels on fire?!

So this weekend was make oven mitt weekend. I was going to make Denyse Schmidt one, but ran out of steam. Instead we have oven patchwork square mitt and oven hand mitt (from this Japanese book).

Have to admire my enthusiasm, I’d planned to make 5 of these on Sunday afternoon, yes five! I pulled out enough fabric and was then distracted playing with it all. I’m a fabric scrap hoarder like Stephanie. So for an afternoon’s work, we have these two. I think next time I might double the thickness of the wadding. Excuse the dark pictures, I ran out of daylight.

oven matt

oven mitt front

20 thoughts on “Burn baby burn

1. Blair says:

These are wonderful. I keep “making mitts” on my project list, but I’m suddenly very inspired looking at yours. Your scrap fabrics go together perfectly.

2. Miss Dot says:

did you remember to sew a big magnet inside in one corner so you can whack it on the fridge/oven door? don’t worry if you didn’t,, I sure as hell would have forgotten until the last stich was closed! “snaps” for you, love the fabrics!

3. Anamaria says:

I love that second style of mitt (fingertip?), and have to echo everyone else’s comments about your fabric combinations–they look great. Plus, rick-rack!
    By the way, I made the DSQ mitts and had the same feeling about the batting–at least you remembered the hanging loop!

4. Helen says:

ohh very nice πŸ™‚ – my mother makes a lot of pot holders that she gives away to people, one thing she has discovered is wadding that has a metal foil in it which is designed for making pot holders etc – lessens the heat coming through the holder or something – they work very well.

5. nichola says:

My oven in this house is exactly the same as yours. I hate it!! It took me ages to get used to it and i figured out that to stop everything from burning on the bottom i need to put an oven tray on the bottom shelf and whatever i’m cooking on the top shelf. My teatowels all have burn holes in them. :-0 I’ll have an industrial oven very very soon though, yippeeee!!!
    Love the oven mitts, i think i’ll make one for a friend.

6. Sandrine (alias Didine!) says:

Oh they’re absolutely beautiful !! Can I ask you a stupid question ? what do you put “inside” your two fabrics to protect your hands from heat ??? If you see what I mean ?!! do you put several coats of a special fabric ?? I wanted also to tell you that I love your fabric scraps !!! Hugs

7. Autum says:

I love all the projects you’ve made from this book! Your color choices are very nice. I have been searching online for the book and can’t find it. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

8. mary says:

love those! i am planning to make some this week too. I’m also going to make the little floor mat from that book. I have so many scraps from all my christmas sewing, and I need to do something with them.

9. Dana says:

I love your hot pads. They are excellent. I have been wanting to make some but am not sure what to use inside of them. I am going to find out though and make some of my own. Thanks for the inspiration.

10. lisa says:

oh my god, the goodness never ends. i love these potholders–both of them. i might have to make one. and i am going to send you some of my scraps for sure.