2009 redux

2009. What do you guys want to hear? What do I want to share? I'm no sooz, she can and does articulate her thoughts so well. AND this is a craft blog so I don't often share the usual life stuff.

With the explosion of craft/handmade markets across Australia I jumped on the wagon. 2009 was the year of the crazy market lady/ies. I started out deciding that after hearing for the millionth time "you should sell these" that I would do just that. How did it go? Well it was interesting. It started with me being so nervous at my first market, Made on the Left, that I had to go home and vomit and leave Sondra. Yep, my gut is my emotional barometer. It ended with an outdoor market that was very dusty and dirty and a 35.5C day. Madness. Again, fatty here had to go home mid market due to being overwhelmed by the heat, but I made it back. I tell you everyone needs a Sondra in their lives.

It's been a fine line of making what I really love to making what sells and sells a lot of and accepting that even though it's not to my exact taste or style someone else does love it. Then there's the "what's next" in product creation, after watching people like Sarah do it for years I have nothing but admiration for her. That's the short answer. Will I continue this year, at this point yes. As cliche as it sounds I could not have done any of it without Sondra's support and help. She's effectively kept our house running and has been an intern of sorts oh and she loves me and that's pretty darn good too. As I said, short answer.

I'm still at my day job after 8 or 9 years. Yes I know, I can't believe it either. It's been a year of accepting what I can't control, reconciling that it's ok to be in one place for so long, accepting that I get paid relatively well for the life/work balance I want, of dreaming what's next? Where to from here? Sondra and I have been discussing this on and off, everything from move to Tasmania, to studying occupational health and safety (her) and doing the mine thing, to becoming circus clowns (just checking you're still here).

There's the being overweight and gaining even more weight last year due to even more ass time making stuff. Yes there's a reason you don't see pictures of me, I'm a fatty and this past year has been probably the worst as far as that goes. I've had a weight issue since always. This year Sondra and I are going to try and change that. Short story for this one too.

Umm, what else? I launched craftapalooza online and a pattern and had some success but it's something I'm going to continue to work on and see where it goes. I've managed to get some great press from crafty/sewing mags which helps and of course there's reader and market buyer support which is awesome.

So I'm not going to say new year resolutions, I'm putting down a list of stuff I'd like to try and achieve this year.

• Lose some weight and get fitter
  • Spend time on our garden
  • Plant a vegie patch of sorts
  • Be more social
  • Go on a holiday with my sweets

A rambling post but it's a start for the year. The picture, well, this is a craft blog and here's something crafty. This was a Christmas gift for little Emerson, a nap/play pillow, it's European pillow size so nice and big.

Mo-christmas-2009-blog2

Happy new year and big love. x

31 thoughts on “2009 redux

1. Krissy says:

Happy New Year Nic. I hope you and Sondra and the fur babies have a great year and I hope to finally meet you at one of your market days very soon.
    Lots of love xx

2. Ann Marie says:

I thought I was the only one whose resolutions included “be more social.” I know I’m not the only one hoping to lose weight and be fitter. It’s my worst year for that too. I hope we both achieve some of our goals, if not them all. Happy New Year!

3. sooz says:

Hey Nic, thanks for the compliment on my NY post! I think yours is well articular, much! Big thoughts going on for you on this turn of the decade – as always I look forward to reading how those things go. Much love to you, Sxx

4. trashalou says:

Lovely to ‘meet’ you last year. I think you are brave to do the markets if meeting people feels tricksy for you and are so lucky to have Sondra there to be your support. May 2010 be all youa re hoping for.

5. ginevra says:

I loved reading how markets went for you, it’s something I’ve been contemplating too. Except I’m not sure my partner is able to give Sondra-like support! (I’m not being critical of him, I just wanted to celebrate her dedication to you).
    Oh, and I hear you on a couple of other items in your list, like weight, be more social…

6. Al says:

And a great nap pillow it is – especially at 3 in the morning when he won’t sleep in his own bed and his mumma has to resort to sleeping on the floor with him! Many boobie hugs to you Nickers and of course to Son too! Love you guys and you know you have our support always! HNY!!! (.)(.)

7. Kate says:

Happy New Year to you Nic! Great to get to know you a little better during 2009 and I am really looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2010 x

8. Sara says:

You know what? Your goals sound a lot like my own! Best of luck to you – I have been following for a while (on twitter too!) and I think what you do is just fantastic. Thanks for being such a great source of inspiration and motivation to me.
    Happy New Year, i look forward to reading more craftapalooza in 2010!

9. Kathreen says:

Happy new year darlink – hope 2010 is the year for dreams to come true – thank you for being such a support and so lovely and kind and creative – you are a tour de force …

Hey there- wonderful to have had such a successful year, extending yourself and trying new things out. Wishing you all the best for a rewarding year ahead. Perhaps even a holiday to the east coast..?