a little bit of a navel gaze

Well hi there! I see Ted's been keeping you occupied since I fell off the face of the earth. I'm sorta back. A combination of changing jobs after 8 years and starting with a personal trainer twice a week has frazzled my brain a little and blogging just fell to the bottom of the list. Don't think I haven't been thinking about the blog and any of you out there I haven't had much worth sharing on the crafty front. I've been doing a little crochet and a little paper piecing and not much else.

As mentioned above Sondra and I have started with a personal trainer. HOLY PAIN IN MY MUSCLES and anywhere else that decides to hurt. I've gone from sedentary worker/crafter to hustle my ass for two 1 hour sessions a week. The pain. I don't talk about it much here but I'm a hefty lady and found myself at my heaviest, tired and grumpy. I'm not a happy fat lady at all. Always had tits n ass but now I have tits, ass, gut and more and it's got to go. Son and I had tried everything, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers and Lite n Easy and it wasn't working. I was getting so desperate that I had started considering lap band surgery. Yep, drastic measures. Considering that I'm of moderate intelligence you would have thought that I would twig that exercise is probably a good idea…Well yes, in a rational brain that's not freaking about being seen exercising in public, is self conscious about being large and generally trying not to bring attention to the fatness, yes they would have twigged a while ago. So. I did, eventually and bit the bullet.

A couple of friends, Kate and Jon, are super fit, healthy people and I chatted to Kate about the weight (it's like the pink friggin' elephant in the corner) and she mentioned the gym where she goes and that the head trainer, Tracy Cooper at SF Gym* had helped others with fitness and weightloss. Speaking for myself, deciding to sign up with a trainer was almost as hard as going to my first ever therapy session years ago. I was shit scared. I didn't want to be publicly humiliated, I have never felt physically comfortable when it comes to exercise. Tracy is awesome. She is patient and firm and pushes me beyond my limited capacity. She doesn't treat me like I'm not able, which is how I feel most of the time in training. As with a therapist the fit isn't always right, I believe the same could be said about hiring a personal trainer, if you don't click it's not going to work.

For those of you rolling your eyes about now and are asking "why is writing about this"? Well if anyone else is out there trying to get fitter, lose weight and feel better about themselves then I want my positive experience to be out there. Don't get me wrong. It's bloody hard work. I have butterflies in my tummy before every session and I grunt, groan, swear and sweat through every session. Food? Well yes that also comes into it and we're keeping a food diary and making better choices everyday. We've had 7 sessions so far and surprisingly I have noticed some differences. I'm not as tired, I'm more willing to get off my ass and be more active and mentally I think it has definitely helped my brain space be more positive. More importantly I'm looking after my health and my future, I have to be a here a long time so I can continue to annoy the crap out of Sondra! My advice, based purely on my experience, exercise, get moving, don't leave it until you have a crap load of weight to lose, it's bloody hard work to shift it!

* We're not doing crossfit! At the moment we aren't fit enough but hope to get fit enough in the future to start doing crossfit classes.

21 thoughts on “a little bit of a navel gaze

1. feli says:

(((HUGS))) Brilliant! Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of the world. It’s inspiring. I say go with what works for you mate. Well done.
    Jenny Craig helped me a while back and I think I am going to go back into it once the baby is out.
    Well done once again. :*)

2. Liesl says:

Good on you! I really should take a leaf out of your book. A personal trainer (task master to give me a boot up the lardy proverbial) would do wonders!
    Good luck with your fitness journey.

3. pulltaffy says:

Oh I feel the same way you do about exercising in front of other people! I’m sure I would fall off the treadmill or trip over something and look like an ass in front of everyone!
    You’re so brave for just going out and doing it, I admire your courage!
    I haven’t worked out much since being pregnant (had a little trouble early on and the morning sickness didn’t help!) My OB told me at my last appointment that I ought to get out and be more active, so I’m easing into it with evening walks around the neighborhood and even a few days of that has made a difference. It’s so much easier to motivate yourself when you can feel (or see) the results, isn’t it?
    Keep up the good work, and good luck!

4. craftapalooza says:

Yeah, the good thing about this trainer is that mostly we’re the only ones in the gym when we’re training, so I can grunt and sweat as much as I like πŸ™‚
    Walking is great, running however will burn fat quicker (as Tracy told me last night when she had me “sprinting”)!!

5. Katrina says:

You sound just like me!!
    I’ve put on a shed load of weight, and my backside has it’s own gravitational pull!
    Please keep us updated.
    Katrina
    PS…I LOVE your blog…only just stumbled on it about 2 weeks ago xx

Great work- congratulations on getting over all the mental hurdles and gettin your (ass moving). It’s very exciting. It is SO easy to just end up being sedentary- sitting all day, and sitting all night. I don’t have weight issues, but definitely my body and mind feel much, much better when I can make myself get to the pool or yoga class a couple of times a week!

7. Little Design Horse says:

I just started doing RPM cycling classes at Beatty Park. Funny thing was I didn’t mean to start going. I turned up one day to go for a relaxing gym workout (yes relaxing due to the absence of a jumping 2 year old!) anyway the lady passed me a pass for RPM by mistake. I thought oh well I’ll go in and give it a try. An hour later I felt like I’d been beaten with a hammer and felt a bit hysterical. Funnily enough I’m addicted to that feeling and keep going back for more! If you fancy an ass-whooping it’s the place to go!